This might not be the quickest recipe, but I assure you its worth the time!
You Will Need:
- 1/4 cup oil of choice
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 jalapeno; minced I throw it in a food processor
- 2 medium tomatoes; quartered
- 1 small yellow onion; quartered
- 2 cloves of garlic; minced
- 2 1/2 cups veggie stock or water
- 1T tomato paste
- salt, pepper, cumin, red pepper flakes, chili powder to taste! Use any combination or none… depends on how spicy you like your stuff!
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Place tomato, onion and garlic in a food processor and blend until almost smooth. You’ll need 2 cups of this mixture; you can use the rest if there is any for something else. Salsa maybe?
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large pan, add the rice and minced jalapeno and mix until the rice is slightly browned; about 2-3 minutes. Pour in the tomato mixture, veggie stock and tomato paste, stir to combine. Add your seasonings now!
- Bring to a boil before turning down the heat, cover and allow to simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour stirring occasionally.
- Before serving, mix in chopped cilantro and serve with your favourite tacos, refried beans or whatever you want!