I’ve been obsessed with buying bulk dried goods. Flour, rice, pasta, oatmeal and BEANS.
This recipe has lots of hands off time, so all you have to do is soak, drain, season, simmer, and smash and you’ll have the tastiest and easiest refried black beans that don’t taste like the inside of a tin can. Win/win wouldn’t you say?
You Will Need:
- 1lb dry black beans beans – soaked overnight OR 1 can of drained and rinsed black beans
- 3 clove garlic; minced
- 1 yellow onion; diced
- cumin, salt/pepper to taste
- 1T butter or coconut oil
- After soaking your dry beans over night (or opening your can), drain, rinse and transfer to a medium sized pot covered in 2inches of water.
- Add the garlic, onion and seasoning and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer on low heat until the water has reduced and created a thick sauce; about 90 minutes-2 hours.
- Heat up butter in a cast iron pan pour in the bean. Smash the up with the back of a spoon, fork, potato masher OR an immersion blender if you like it super smooth, OR leave a little but of texture. Its up to you!
You can top it with cheese and serve as a side with Mexican Style brown rice, carnitas, tacos, or anything else that suits your fancy. These are super easy and they practically cook themselves! Give it a try and let me know how you like them!