OOOOOH BOY! Do I have a surprise for you.
I, like most people, love the crunch of fried chicken. I’m always looking for healthier ways to make my favourite foods and I think I’ve found the answer to this one.
Brown rice cereal.
YUP. That’s right. While these aren’t a particularly tasty breakfast cereal on their own, crumble them up with some seasoning, slap it on some chicken and you will be in HEAVEN
You Will Need:
- 1 cup crispy brown rice cereal
- seasonings of choice; I used salt, Trader Joe’s 21 Seasoning Salute, 1t Spice and Tea Exchange cheese seasoning
- sticking agent like a beaten egg or 1T(or less) of ranch dressing
- chicken, duh. I used one big chicken boob, probably ~1lb. You can cut it into chunks to make nuggets or coat the whole thing
- preheat oven to 375F and prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment and placing a wire rack on top, then spray the rack with non-stick spray. PRO TIP: Lifting it up off of the parchment, helps the air circulate and make the underside crispier
- pulverize the brown rice cereal and seasoning together in a food processor or crush it up in a ziplock bag
- pat your chicken dry with a paper towel before coating in ranch or beaten egg and then press the chicken into the rice cereal crumbs. REALLY press the crumb mixture into the chicken to make sure it sticks well!
- Once the chicken is well-coated, place on the prepared baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes or until internal temperature reads 165F. You can flip it halfway through if you’d like to see if it’ll crunch up the underside a little better, but it turned out awesome without doing it!
Serve with a side of your choice or cut it up and toss it in a salad!