This amazing no-bake pie is perfectly sweet and only takes a few hours to set in the refrigerator to perfection!
I’m neither vegan or gluten free, but I love to experiment with other forms of eating to experience m o r e f o o d. I was able to adapt this recipe from The Truth About Cancer.
I used what I had around the house for nuts, but I’ll list a few alternatives you can use, too!
ALL KINDS OF SUPER FOODS! Chia, flaxseed, coconut oil… from how decadent it tastes, its hard to believe its good for you.
You Will Need:
- ¾ cup raw pecans its what I had, you can use almonds, cashews or any combination of raw nuts!
- ½ cup ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil; liquified
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey if you’re not strict vegan
- ¼t salt; I love my chocolate sea salt from The Spice and Tea Exchange
- ½ cup raw hazelnuts soaked in water for 4 hours OR macadamia nuts soaked 1 hour OR cashews soaked for 2 hours
- ½ cup cacao powder or dutch cocoa powder add an additional 1/4 cup for a richer, dark chocolate flavour
- ½ cup coconut oil; liquefied
- 3T maple syrup or honey if not strict vegan
- 1T chia seeds
- 1T maca powder
- ¼t cayenne pepper; optional, but I LOVE the kick it give the filling!
- ¼t salt to taste
- ¼ cup water optional; to thin mixture if needed
- Use a little bit of oil or nonstick spray to coat 9″pie pan. Add all crust ingredients to a blender or food processor and pulse until combined. Press the mixture evenly into the pie pan and about 1/2″ up the sides and stick it in the freezer while you prepare the filling.
- Combine all filling ingredients (except the water) in a blender or food processor until smooth it will be the consistency of thick pudding adding water 1T at a time if needed.
- Pour the filling over the crust and set back in the freezer for an hour to set if you’re in a hurry or in the fridge overnight. Let it sit at room temperature for ten minutes to soften if its frozen before cutting into 8 slices. Top with coconut flakes, cocoa nibs or powdered peanut butter.. or eat it plain! Store in the fridge for up to a week.
The cayenne gives the pie a wonderful kick, but if you’re not a fan, feel free to skip it!