I was able to throw this together using a bunch of stuff I had laying around in my cupboards! I’ve had lentils in there for what seemed like forever and I needed an excuse to use them up.
This stew is inspired by the flavours of tikka masala, but with a few less tomatoes and a lot more chicken stock. Feel free to adjust the spices to your taste!
You Will Need:
- 2 chicken breasts (or tofu or more lentils if you’re meatless)
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1 can tomato and chilies
- 3 cups chicken stock (if using extra lentils to substitute meat, add an extra cup of stock)
- 1 cup lentils
- 3 cloves garlic; minced
- 1T ginger; grated or in a squeeze paste!
- 1/2 red onion; diced
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1.5T Garam masala
- 2t turmeric
- 1T paprika
- 1cup frozen peas
- 1/2cup coconut milk
- Throw everything except for the frozen peas and coconut milk into the crockpot on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8hrs.
- In the last 30 minutes, take out the chicken and attack the sauce with an immersion blender if you have one, (or you can leave it chunky!) Put the chicken back to shred and add the peas and coconut milk; stirring to combine. Replace the lid and finish cooking time.
- Serve in a nice big bowl with a piece of warm naan.