Nutella… you are the nectar of the gods. I love your creamy, chocolatey deliciousness.
HOWEVER. You do nothing but bad, bad things for my waistline.
Over the last few months, I’ve purchased a
couple lot of different cookbooks to start experimenting with tasty alternatives to high calorie treats; like Nutella.
Chocolate Covered Katie‘s book has some amaaaaaazing desserts that I absolutely love, so when I saw her recipe for a Nutella substitute, I knew I has to try it.
Now, don’y get discouraged when your spread isn’t super silky smooth like the real stuff. Just remember how much extra processing goes into pre-packaged foods.. the extra texture lets you know it was made with L O V E.
You Will Need:
- 2 cups raw hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup milk of choice I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup plus 2T sweetener of choice excluding stevia
- pinch of stevia extract or additionl 1T sweetener of choice
- 1/8t salt
- Preheat your oven to 400F and place hazelnuts on a cook sheet to roast for about 6-8 minutes; until the skins are dark and toasty.
- Remove nuts from the oven and allow to cool before rubbing them together to remove the skins. Its OK if some of them are stubborn and don’t want to come off!
- In a food processor I used my mini KitchenAid, but a VitaMix would do wonders process roasted nuts until you reach a smooth consistency.
- Add remaining ingredients and continue to process until the mixture achieves a smooth texture.
Makes about 2 cups
Sugar: depends on the sweetener used