Can I just say…. I am SO sorry for the lack of posting lately. I mean, I really made no promises when I started this thing right? so I guess it’s not totally terrible that I’ve taken some time off… BUT.
I still feel the tiniest bit of guilt. I had such high hopes… and a plan!! I marked out dates and recipes to try and post and all that jazz… and then…
My neighbour happened.
I won’t get into the details because really… they’re not important and I’d rather not spend any more time thinking about the situation than I already do… so. That being said:
HI!! I’ve missed you.
You may or may not have seen any of my Instagram posts about my gas being shut off for reasons beyond my control.
I tried the make the most of it; so I got plenty of use out of my slow cooker in that time!
One of my favourite things about fall is soups and stews and nothing comes close to a big hot bowl of beef stew. The best thing about the crock pot besides everything is how easy everything is to make. Throw in a few ingredients, a little liquid and BOOM.
You will need:
- ~1.5-2lbs stew meat
- 1 large sweet potato (or potato of your choice.. it’s what I had lying around), peeled and chopped into ~1″ pieces
- 1/2lb baby carrots, cut in half
- 2 celery stalks, chopped (I bought a tub of pre chopped in the produce section; pricier, yes… but I don’t need a whole package of celery at the moment… sooooo)
- fresh green beans, washed and cut
- 1T olive oil (or cooking oil of your choice)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1t minced garlic (I use bottled garlic.. I can’t go through fresh garlic quick enough before it goes bad!)
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- ~1T flour
- paprika or other spices to taste
- salt/pepper to taste
- In a large storage bag, toss stew meat, flour, paprika and salt/pepper together until the meat is coated (you may need a little more flour, depending on how much meat you’re using)
- Heat your oil in a skillet and add garlic, cooking until fragrant – about 30 seconds.
- Add your meat, in batches if necessary, and cook on all sides until browned (it will finish cooking in the crock pot, obviously)
- While the meat is cooking, chop up the onion (I like big pieces, so I just did a rough chop), baby carrots, celery and sweet potato and green beans; Add them to your crock pot.
- Once the meat is brown on all sides, transfer the meat into the crock pot and then pour the beef stock into the pan and let it simmer for a minute or two and scrape up all the tasty brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the beef stock over the rest of your ingredients and add bay leaf.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8hrs or on high for 3-4 hours. Remove the bay leaf before enjoying!
I noticed that the sweet potatoes came out more like moosh.. especially when reheating it, so my suggestion might be to add them in the last hour of cooking, that way they’ll be cooked, but not completely annihilated.
So that’s it, folks; my first post in a while.. and its fall themed!!
I have a few more in the works to try and play catch up, but I’m not too worried. Are you?
Now you get to tell me: What is YOUR favourite fall comfort food?
Sound off in the comments below and share some of your favourites!
I try really hard to get you an accurate depiction of nutrition facts but this is using the particular brands/ingredients I prefer; please make sure that any substitutions you may use are taken into consideration when you make these recipes for yourself. MyFitnessPal is a great tool to create different foods and calculate nutritional information… USE IT! (: